As the semester progresses in Making Connections: Facebook & Beyond, we’ll be investigating many different forms of social media. I will demo the sites for you in class, and then you will have short assignments to complete using the service providers.
To get started, sign up for free accounts at the following sites. For quick and concise explanations of each of the services, see Common Craft’s “In Plain English” series.
- Facebook: social networking (Social Networking in Plain English)
- WordPress: blogging (Blogs in Plain English)
- Twitter: microblogging (Twitter in Plain English)
- Delicious: social bookmarking (Social Bookmarking in Plain English)
- Google Reader: organizing and managing online content (Google Reader in Plain English)
- Utterz: podcasting (Podcasting in Plain English)
- Flickr: photo sharing (Online Photo Sharing in Plain English)
- LinkedIn: professional social networking (LinkedIn in Plain English)
A couple of notes:
- If you already have an account at one of the sites, there’s no need to obtain another one just for this class.
- If possible, use the same username for all the sites. I tend to use my real name as my username; if you are uncomfortable using your real name, feel free to use a professional-sounding username of your choice.
Please be sure to sign up for all the accounts by September 12.
Photo Credit: http://thegoldguys.blogspot.com/
Filed under: social media | Tagged: blog, delicious, Facebook, flickr, google reader, in plain english, linkedin, microblogging, photo sharing, rss, social bookmarking, social media, social networking, twitter, utterz, wordpress | 2 Comments »